School safety is a top priority.
In the interest of proactively working to safeguard our entire school community, we occasionally find ourselves in the unenviable position of having to make difficult decisions as quickly as possible … and in making these difficult decisions—in collaboration with the Colchester Police Department—critically analyzing all of the varying and often complex information available to us becomes paramount.
Another important consideration in managing situations having to do with school safety is the manner in which information is disseminated to our community. Since there exists no satisfactory, one-size-fits-all approach to such communication—and since we must remain ever cognizant of maintaining compliance with federal privacy laws and other considerations—we occasionally face the challenge of clearly and accurately communicating sensitive and emotionally charged information in as complete and as timely a manner as possible. This challenge can be further complicated with the widespread proliferation and profound speed of social media, wherein rumors and inaccuracies can impede and complicate these efforts.
The safety and security of our schools is of preeminent importance and serves as the foundation for this work. We do the very best we can with the information we have available to us, and we appreciate our community’s support in these efforts.
How can our community help with our safety efforts?
Please partner with us in helping to increase the safety and security of our school community. We respectfully ask that parents:
- always maintain current emergency contact information with schools;
- do not attempt to travel to campus in the event of emergency—doing so would hinder emergency operations and place students and staff at further risk;
- extend us their cooperation as we work to enforce our established safety procedures;
- regularly talk with their children about how to solve interpersonal conflicts and other problems in a respectful, nonviolent way;
- encourage their children to confide in a trusted adult at school about any concerns they may have; and
- reach out to us at any time to ask questions and offer suggestions about our security policies and procedures.
We invite our community to revisit our three-part series about their schools’ enhanced safety and security features (please click here to access it) and our two-part primer about our important, longstanding partnership with the Colchester Police Department for the benefit of the schools (please click here to access it).
We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding, and cooperation in our efforts to protect your community’s schools.
When we’re all informed, we make a stronger community! Please encourage your friends and family to subscribe to the Spotlight.