As it did last year, Colchester Middle School will soon release a school climate survey to help school officials measure parents’ perceptions about a number of important measures.
The results from this year’s survey—which will go out to parents via Power Announcement and is also expected to be available on the CMS website on July 15—will be analyzed alongside the results from last year’s survey in order to offer an apples-to-apples comparison about how parents feel the school is doing in the following areas:
- effectiveness in its educational support systems
- promotion of and motivation for academic success by faculty and staff through rigorous, relevant, and engaging instruction
- professional culture of respect, including multicultural sensitivity
- ability to meet the social, emotional, and/or behavioral needs of students
- approaches to behavioral concerns and challenges
- effectiveness in encouraging students to become engaged in their community
- effectiveness in seeking and utilizing parent input and feedback
- effectiveness in focus upon student wellness
- effectiveness of communications
- after-school activities
- effectiveness in addressing of bullying, harassment, and substance abuse issues
The survey was written based upon work by the Institute of Education Science’s Regional Educational Laboratory Program, which partners with school districts, state departments of education, and others to use data and research to improve academic outcomes for students. The overall mission is to provide support for a more evidence-reliant education system. (To read more about the Regional Educational Laboratory Program, please click here.)
CMS officials encourage all CMS parents to participate in the survey by August 15; results from the survey will be important in driving decisions for the school in the future. We’re listening—please let us know what you think!
Your schools and your town are working hard to engage our community and keep everyone informed. Please encourage your friends and family to subscribe to The Spotlight!