It’s hard to believe that we’re already starting to approach the point at which we wind down the school year and gear up for summer. And what better way to do that than with music?
There are a number of upcoming musical events to which you are cordially invited. More than 450 Colchester School District students district-wide include band and choral curriculum in their studies, providing them with a well-rounded educational experience and offering them a host of benefits associated with music education.
- Wednesday, May 15 at 7:00 p.m.—the CMS sixth-grade chorus, seventh- and eighth-grade chorus, and select choir will perform a TV/pop/movie-theme concert (think “Count on Me,” “Scarborough Fair,” “Stayin’ Alive,” “Celebration,” “Maybe I’m Amazed,” “Hawaii Five-O,” “Rhythm of Love,” and “The Muppets”) in the community theater at Colchester High School.
- Thursday, May 16 at 7:00 p.m.—the CMS sixth-grade band, seventh- and eighth-grade band, and the jazz band will perform in the CMS gymnasium. In addition to many other pieces, this spring concert features the seventh- and eighth-grade clarinet section with a beautiful arrangement of the Irish folk song, “Loch Lomond,” and a brand-new Hunger Games piece will be played by the seventh- and eighth-grade band. The sixth-grade band will perform a band favorite, “Bryce Canyon Overture,” and the jazz band will play a steady and driving arrangement of “Seven Nation Army” and the ever-so-sneaky “Pink Panther.”
- And on Thursday, May 23 at 6:30 p.m., all chorus and band members and their families are invited to attend the second-annual CMS Solo Night in the CMS cafeteria. Twenty-five acts will perform for three judges, and prizes will be awarded for the best acts in three categories. Join us for light refreshments and to enjoy the performances by various solo singers, instrumentalists, and group performances from the middle school level. CMS has talent!
Malletts Bay School’s upcoming musical performances are as follows:
- On Tuesday, May 21 at 6:00 p.m., the third-grade spring concert will take place in the MBS gymnasium, followed immediately by the fourth-grade recorder concert beginning at 7:00 p.m.
- On Wednesday, May 22 at 6:30 p.m., the fifth-grade spring band and chorus concert will take place in the community theater at Colchester High School.
And at Colchester High School …
- On Tuesday, May 28 beginning at 7:00 p.m., Colchester High School will hold its pops concert at CHS. This is the event during which CHS recognizes seniors and exceptional students, complimented by fun music that many people recognize. This year’s pops concert will include a Star Wars medley, classic jazz funk/pop from the 1970s, and more.
- On Friday, May 31 beginning at 7:30 p.m., the Performing Arts concert will be held at Colchester High School as part of Colchester’s 250th celebration. The event will feature a historical skit performed by the Colchester Theatre Company, a performance by the Colchester Community Chorus, a performance by the CHS band and Colchester Community Band, and a performance by the CHS chorus. (The choruses and bands will also perform combined music pieces featuring a musical composition by Jacob Morton-Black, written specifically for this occasion entitled “Toward Familiar Shores.”)
Do you like CSD Spotlight? If so, please encourage your family and friends to subscribe! We are working hard to engage our community and keep everyone informed. Please help us spread the word!