What a fabulous opportunity!
Colchester School District Vision and Strategic Plan 2012–2017’s pathways include Pathway A: High Standards, Expectations, and Individual Engagement for All Learners and Pathway E: Parent, Community, and School Partnerships Among Lifelong Learners. This year, the Union Memorial School PTO has sponsored the school’s triennial artist-in-residence program—Taiko drumming with Stuart Paton, founder of Burlington Taiko!
This incredible artist-in-residence program opportunity—culminating with a school-wide performance on Tuesday, March 19 at 6:30 p.m. in the community theater at Colchester High School—offers students an introduction to a creative outlet, is designed to further their understanding and appreciation of other cultures, and has been a long-anticipated and proud school-wide interdisciplinary effort. In addition to the weeklong work with Stuart Paton:
- classroom teachers have been working with the students on Japanese vocabulary;
- UMS’s art department has helped students to explore Japanese-style art;
- UMS’s music department offered percussion instruction;
- UMS library’s “I Love to Read Week” celebration included a guest speaker reading a Japanese-themed book; and
- UMS’s physical education department taught the students an authentic Japanese cha-cha dance (click here to watch).
If you would like to view a short video about the artist-in-residence program at Union Memorial School, please click here!
Remember, the culminating school-wide performance will take place on Tuesday, March 19 at 6:30 p.m. in the community theater at Colchester High School!
Do you like CSD Spotlight? If so, please encourage your family and friends to subscribe! We are working hard to engage our community and keep everyone informed. Please help us spread the word!