As is stated in the Colchester School District Vision and Strategic Plan 2012–2017, we work to “generate positive awareness of school activities and services and to encourage effective dialogue within Colchester and beyond.”
CSD Spotlight is coming up on its second anniversary, and in that time, it has published five hundred articles—including photographs and videos—in an effort to foster the open communication, transparency, accountability, and community spirit that are so important to our students’ education. CSD Spotlight articles cover a wide variety of subjects in an effort to offer something for everyone. Just a sample of articles about your schools and other important education-related issues include information about:
- college and career planning;
- the Common Core State Standards;
- costs of school meals;
- outstanding academic performance;
- illness-prevention strategies; and
- how the decision about whether to close school due to inclement weather is made.
We’ve also shared stories about important opportunities and initiatives in your schools, such as:
- trips to Andros Island;
- technology-related education;
- fantastic community nutrition programs;
- safe use of technology;
- student civic engagement programs;
- efforts in positive school culture and community spirit;
- partnerships with law enforcement in your schools;
- exciting grant-funded projects;
- partnerships with local and state officials in your classrooms; and
- technology integration efforts.
How are we doing with our communications efforts? We would love to hear from you to find out what else you would like to know about your schools and about education today. What other sorts of news and information would you like to see? What would you like to know more about? How can we better serve you?
And remember that, in addition to CSD Spotlight, we also use a number of other outreach strategies to enhance communications, including:
- our website;
- our Facebook page;
- the Alert Now notification system;
- Front Porch Forum;
- authoring content for the Colchester Sun’s weekly Schools’ Page;
- each school’s website; and
- many teachers and administrators also have blogs, Twitter feeds, and more.
The Colchester School Board encourages community participation at their meetings; in fact, the board’s agenda solicits comments from the community at every meeting. (Join them at Colchester High School on the first and third Tuesday of each month beginning at 7:00 p.m. You can also watch them on Lake Champlain Access Television’s Channel 16 on Saturdays at 6:00 p.m. and Sundays at 7:00 a.m.) We also host and encourage participation in numerous community events in all of your schools throughout the year to foster the collaborative spirit that is so essential to academic excellence.
Help us celebrate! We can better tailor our communications with our community when we better understand what our community needs. We hope to encourage dialogue that allows us to be proactive and that enhances our collaboration. Please send us your comments and suggestions to email@example.com.
Do you like CSD Spotlight? If so, please encourage your family and friends to subscribe! We are working hard to engage our community and keep everyone informed. Please help us spread the word!