Did you know these facts about Colchester High School?
- Math educator Janet Soltau created a video about CHS. Please click here to view it!
- CHS won high praise from the Vermont Department of Education for its impressive improvements in performance. In fact, Lawrence O. Picus and Associates conducted an extensive case study of CHS for the Vermont State Legislature in order to ascertain how such improvements were accomplished … without high spending (the district spends below the state per-pupil average) and without high teacher salaries (salaries are also below the state average). As a result of the comprehensive study, CHS is being regaled as a model for other high schools across the state.
- CHS’s performance in the 2011 NECAP assessments was outstanding. It produced the highest writing scores in Chittenden County, tied with Essex High School and Champlain Valley Union High School (CVU) for the highest math scores, and tied with CVU for the highest reading scores. CHS also tied for second in the state for its math and writing results and tied for fourth in the state for reading.
- CHS won accreditation from the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC). The accreditation was the result of a long-term, multi-component, and comprehensive assessment.
- CHS has made Newsweek’s America’s Best High Schools list numerous times.
- CHS is dedicated to cultivating a sense of community. It has hosted a number of important community events, including a financial literacy workshop, the Jr. College Night series, the Laker Learning Connections, and many, many others.
- CHS has a terrific health class and community garden.
- CHS students are dedicated to volunteerism. The students make significant contributions in our community through their service with a variety of organizations and initiatives, including the Vermont Respite House, the Ronald McDonald House, a number of area food shelves, Women Helping Battered Women, the Lund Family Center, and the Humane Society of Chittenden County as well as many others.
- CHS efforts concerning sustainability are ongoing. Its Net Impact High School chapter, funded by a grant, is the first of its kind in the nation, and it seeks to link sustainability-related learning opportunities with efforts to conserve and protect our environment. And with the help of other grants, CHS also has incorporated human-powered generators to offset some of the energy requirements for staging and lighting equipment, engaging the students in tangible methods of reducing their carbon footprints.
- The Lakeside Voice, CHS’s student newspaper, is a frequent recipient of meritorious awards. The publication has received numerous accolades from the New England Scholastic Press Association (NESPA) at Boston University’s College of Communication.
For more information about Colchester High School, please visit their website or call (802) 264-5700.
Keep current with CSD’s news and other education-related information by subscribing to CSD Spotlight. Enter an e-mail address into the field under E-mail Subscriptions in the upper right-hand side of this screen and click “Sign me up!”