Did you know some of these facts about Union Memorial School?
- Principal Chris Antonicci is the 2012 Henry Giauque Vermont Elementary Principal of the Year. This award is presented annually by the Vermont Principals’ Association.
- Union Memorial School has exceeded its Annual Measurable Objective (the target the state sets for the school for academic performance in reading and mathematics) in each of the years since the federal No Child Left Behind Act was enacted in 2002.
- In 2011, four Union Memorial School teachers were featured in a professionally produced, globally marketed professional development series about differentiated instruction called Creating Equity and Excellence for All Learners through Differentiated Instruction. The series was sponsored by the Hope Foundation and produced by Pure Imagination, Inc.
- Union Memorial School is partnering with Tuberville to plant and harvest potatoes in a garden behind its neighbor, the Colchester Community Food Shelf, to support their efforts of providing food for needy Colchester residents. Union Memorial School has also started an annual food drive for them.
- The average daily attendance at Union Memorial School is 97 percent. Student attendance is an indicator of climate and student well-being.
- Union Memorial School has a continuing effort to become paperless. The Family Handbook and newsletters are now offered electronically.
- Through the support of CSD’s Central Office, Union Memorial School has recently purchased twenty iPad 2s for their students. A pilot group of teachers will vet apps and create a logistical plan for school-wide use next year.
- Union Memorial School averages a 94 percent attendance rate at parent conferences and open houses.
- Union Memorial School was the only Vermont school to participate in Michelle Obama’s Let’s Jump! campaign. The October 11 event crushed the former world record for the most jumping jacks performed in a twenty-four-hour period.
- Union Memorial School works to broaden and develop community outreach initiatives, including family learning events like the Family Math Night and the Paired Reading Workshop as well as family exercise events like the Family Ice Skating Event and the Chilly Champ Fun Run. There is also a triennial artist in residence program that brings in local artists to work with the students for a week.
For more information about Union Memorial School or its programs and services, please e-mail Principal Chris Antonicci or call (802) 264-5959.
Stay tuned for little-known facts about CSD’s other schools coming up soon!
Keep current with CSD’s news and other education-related information by subscribing to CSD Spotlight. Enter an e-mail address into the field under E-mail Subscriptions in the upper right-hand side of this screen and click “Sign me up!”